Posted: March 20, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Playing in their first match since March 8, the Mountain Hawks fell to Villanova by a score of 6-1 Tuesday at the Lewis Tennis Center. Senior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha earned the team’s only point as he won at No. 1 singles. Fernandez-Concha earned his second win of the season at No. 1 singles when he defeated Brian Maher 6-3, 6-1. Lehigh falls to 1-8 overall, while the Wildcats earn their first win of the season and improve to 1-6.
Villanova took a 1-0 lead at the end of doubles play as the Wildcats won all three matches. However, in singles, three matches had to be decided in three games. Both junior John Nespoli and senior Brad Nelson had the lead after the first game, but saw their opponents fight back and force a tie-breaker game. Meanwhile, after falling in the first game 4-6, Michael Gordon fought back to win the second 7-5 and force a tie-breaker in No. 5 singles. However, Villanova’s Brett Tobin won the tie-breaker 10-8.
The Mountain Hawks return to action next Tuesday when they welcome archrival Lafayette to the Lewis Tennis Center. The match is scheduled to begin at 3:00 pm.
1. Chimerakis/Daly (VU) def. Herbert/Balshi (LU) 8-5
2. Fahrendorf/Maher (VU) def. Fernandez-Concha/Volkman (LU) 8-3
3. Farmer/Leeser (VU) def. Nelson/Caminiti (LU) 8-6
1. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Brian Maher (VU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Sean Daly (VU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Scott Fahrendorf (VU) def. Andrew Balshi (LU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Dimitri Chimerakis (VU) def. Brent Herbert (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Brett Tobin (VU) def. Michael Gordon (LU) 6-4, 5-7, 10-8
6. John Magliano (VU) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 4-6, 6-0, 10-3