Posted: March 8, 2007
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Lehigh wrapped up its three match spring break trip to Florida with a 7-0 victory over Southern Indiana Wednesday at the DeSoto Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks came-from-behind to win all three doubles contests and then swept six singles matches as they even their record at 5-5 on the season. The Brown and White won two of their three spring break matches in the Sunshine State.
The Mountain Hawks took an early lead, winning all three matches to secure the doubles point, but it did not come easily. Lehigh’s No. 2 team of senior Cessa Murasko-Blank and junior Alexis Jacobi trailed 4-0 before winning eight straight games to defeat Kimberly Decker and Maggie Coffman. At third doubles, freshman Julie Arthofer and sophomore Victoria Vityuk erased a 3-0 deficit to defeat Gretchen Cantwell and Kyla Dorsett 8-5.
In singles play Lehigh cruised, winning all six matches in straight sets. Arthofer provided the most convincing victory, dropping just one game in a 6-0, 6-1 win over Cantwell at fourth singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Tuesday, when they welcome the Blazers of Alabama-Birmingham to the Lewis Tennis Center for a 3:30 pm match.
1. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) def. Bartelt/Clagg (USI) 9-7
2. Murasko-Blank/Jacobi (LU) def. Decker/Coffman (USI) 8-4
3. Arthofer/Vityuk (LU) def. Cantwell/Dorsett (USI) 8-5
1. Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Kimberly Decker (USI) 6-2, 6-1
2. Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Audra Bartelt (USI) 6-1, 6-3
3. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Katie Jo Clagg (USI) 6-0, 7-5
4. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Gretchen Cantwell (USI) 6-0, 6-4
5. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Kyla Dorsett (USI) 6-0, 6-4
6. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Emily Schum (USI) 6-2, 6-2