Posted: March 6, 2007
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Lehigh opened up its Spring Break trip to Florida with a tightly contested 5-4 loss to Florida Tech on Tuesday afternoon. The Mountain Hawks won two out of the three doubles matches, but could only muster wins in two of six singles matches. Florida Tech plays in Division II, where tennis matches are best of nine team points. The Mountain Hawks fall to 1-5 with the loss, while the Panthers improve to 6-5.
The Mountain Hawks started strong, winning at second and third doubles to take a 2-1 lead after doubles play. Senior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha and junior John Nespoli teamed for an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles, while sophomores Jon-Michael Caminiti and Mike Gordon won by the same score at third singles.
In singles play, Lehigh just needed a split to win the match, but the Brown and White only won two of the six contests. Gordon defeated Jeremy Casperson 7-5, 6-3 at No. 4 singles, while senior Evan Volkman defeated Joel Zahlan 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 6 singles. Lehigh had a shot to win, with junior Brent Herbert winning the first set versus Jonathan Hanna at third singles, but Hanna rallied to win the final two sets.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Thursday, when they face off against ACC member Virginia Tech. The match gets underway at noon from Satellite Beach, Florida.
1. Giel/Kessler (FT) def. Herbert/Balshi (LU) 8-2
2. Fernandez-Concha/Nespoli (LU) def. Hanna/Smith (FT) 8-6
3. Caminiti/Gordon (LU) def. Casperson/Yentumi (FT) 8-6
1. Clifford Giel (FT) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Keith Kessler (FT) def. Drew Balshi (LU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Jonathan Hanna (FT) def. Brent Herbert (LU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
4. Mike Gordon (LU) def. Jeremy Casperson (FT) 7-5, 6-3
5. Christian Smith (FT) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Evan Volkman (LU) def. Joel Zahlan (FT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3