Posted: February 25, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Sophomore Mike Gordon rallied from a set down to net the match clinching victory and break a 3-3 tie as Lehigh won its first match of the spring season 4-3 over Drexel, Sunday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won two doubles matches to earn the first point, and after dropping the first three singles flights, won the final three flights to improve to 1-5 on the season.
Both Gordon and fellow sophomore Jon-Michael Caminiti were awarded match balls, signifying their first varsity dual wins for the Brown and White. Gordon lost the first set against Harrison Clare 5-7, but battled back to win the second set 6-3 and was dominant in a 6-0 win in the third set. Caminiti failed to win a game in the first set, but like Gordon bounced back to win the next two sets. The duo also combined to win 8-1 at third doubles.
Junior Brent Herbert had Lehigh’s other singles win, taking down Ayushya Wadhwan in three sets.
Lehigh claimed the doubles point with wins at second and third doubles. Senior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha and junior John Nespoli earned the win at second doubles.
The Mountain hawks will next head to Florida for their annual spring break trip, and will return to action on Tuesday, March 6 against Florida Tech at 12:00 pm.
1. Laalej/Koebele (DU) def. Balshi/Herbert (LU) 8-4
2. Fernandez-Concha/Nespoli (LU) def. Pangilinan/Clare (DU) 8-4
3. Caminiti/Gordon (LU) def. Wadhwan/Popovice (DU) 8-1
1. Omar Laalej (DU) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. Joe Koebele (DU) def. Andrew Balshi (LU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Carlo Palignan (DU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 5-0, retired
4. Brent Herbert (LU) def. Ayushya Wadhwan (DU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
5. Mike Gordon (LU) def. Harrison Clare (DU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
6. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU) def. Jarrod Popovice (DU) 0-6, 7-5, 6-2