Posted: February 18, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – It was another long day at the office for the Lehigh women’s tennis team, but on Sunday the Mountain Hawks did manage to snap a three match losing streak with a 5-2 victory over Towson at the Lewis Tennis Center. Lehigh claimed the doubles point, winning two of three matches, and then won four of six singles matches. Freshman Julie Arthofer picked up the match-clinching win at fourth singles as Lehigh improves to 2-3 on the season.
The Mountain Hawks secured the first point with wins from senior Gwen Dwyer and sophomore Allie Schwartz at first doubles and Arthofer and sophomore Ruthie Furman at third doubles.
The singles matches were tightly contested, as five of the six were decided in three sets. Dwyer overcame a loss in the second set tiebreak to defeat Eva Otanke at first singles.
Junior Alexis Jacobi had the only straight set win of the day, defeating Evelyn Izaguirre 6-2, 6-1.
Towson picked up wins at third and fifth singles, before Arthofer clinched the victory with a three set win over Kelly Parsons.
Lehigh returns to the court on Friday, February 23 when the Mountain Hawks host Stony Brook. The match gets underway at noon from the Lewis Tennis Center and will be followed by a Lehigh men’s match versus Stony Brook.
1. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) def. Otanke/Parsons (TU) 8-6
2. Woolfolk/Scatuorchio (TU) def. Jacobi/Murasko-Blank (LU) 8-6
3. Arthofer/Furman (LU) def. Izaguirre/Ng (TU) 8-4
1. Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Eva Otanke (TU) 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-0
2. Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Evelyn Izaguirre (TU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Jess Woolfolk (TU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
4. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Kelly Parsons (TU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Cassandra Ng (TU) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
6. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Amanda Scatuorchio (TU) 6-4, 2-6, 10-5