Posted: February 12, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Mountain Hawks battled a tough opponent for the second straight match and Temple proved to be too strong, as the Owls blanked Lehigh 7-0 Monday night inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Temple swept all three doubles matches and won all six singles matches to improve to 3-1 on the season, while the Brown and White fall to 1-2 with the loss.
“They (Temple) were really tough and took it to us,” said head coach Dave Shook. “We were a little short handed, but they’re good. They recently beat Richmond, who won the Atlantic 10 each of the last three years.”
Lehigh was without injured sophomore Ariela Cohen, who usually plays second singles. Senior co-captain Cessa Murasko-Blank was limited to doubles action only because of an injury.
The evening’s closest match came at first singles where Lehigh senior Gwen Dwyer gave Temple’s Yuri Kurashima all she could handle, before falling in a third set tiebreaker. The Owls won the remaining five singles matches in straight sets.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Saturday when they continue their home stand against Delaware. The match begins at 10 a.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Kurashima/Clermont (TU) def. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) 8-3
2. Ferancova/Senkina (TU) def. Jacobi/Murasko-Blank (LU) 8-0
3. Frazier/Pattabi (TU) def. Arthofer/Furman (LU) 8-3
1. Yuri Kurashima (TU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-3, 4-6 (10-6)
2. Radka Ferankova (TU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Christine Clermont (TU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Sharanya Pattabi (TU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Dina Senkina (TU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Felicia Frazier (TU) def. Victoria Vityuk (LU) 6-1, 6-0