Posted: February 7, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh battled Big East member Rutgers tough, but in the end the Scarlet Knights proved too tough, blanking the Mountain Hawks 7-0 Wednesday evening inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Scarlet Knights swept all three doubles contests and all six singles matches to pick up their first victory of the season as they improve to 1-2. The Mountain Hawks’ record evens at 1-1 with the setback.
“I was pleased with the ladies’ effort tonight,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “They (Rutgers) are a scholarship program from a major conference but we competed well, especially in the doubles matches.”
The Mountain Hawks were shorthanded, playing without sophomore Ariela Cohen, their No. 2 singles player. Freshman Ruthie Furman replaced Cohen in the lineup at third doubles, but she and classmate Julie Arthofer lost to Lauren Edelschein and Christine Tran 8-3.
In singles play, Katrina Elder-Bush knocked off senior Gwen Dwyer in straight sets at first singles. Two of the six matches went to three sets. Sophomore Allie Schwartz took the first set from Edelschein, before losing 3-6, 6-2, 6-1, while senior Cessa Murasko-Blank won the first set against Anela Dujsic before losing in a third set tiebreak.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Saturday afternoon, when they travel to Ithaca, N.Y. to face Cornell at 4 p.m.
1. Zaretser/Arlak (RU) def. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) 8-3
2. Elder-Bush/Baker (RU) def. Murasko-Blank/Jacobi (LU) 8-2
3. Edelschein/Tran (RU) def. Arthofer/Furman (LU) 8-3
1. Katrina Elder-Bush (RU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2. Katherine Arlak (RU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Lauren Edelschein (RU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Caitlin Baker (RU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Anela Dujsic (RU) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) 2-6, 6-3, 10-6
6. Christine Tran (RU) def. Victoria Vityuk (LU) 6-1, 6-0