Lehigh drops spring opener to Brown, 7-0
Posted: January 22, 2007
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Lehigh opened its spring season with a 7-0 loss to Brown inside the Pizzitola Sports Center on Saturday afternoon. The shorthanded Mountain Hawks had their hands full with the nationally ranked Bears, who won all three doubles matches to clinch the first point and then won all six singles matches in straight sets to improve to 4-1 on the season. Lehigh falls to 0-1 with the loss.
“Despite the results, it was a well played match,” explained Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “Brown is ranked in the top 50 and they’re expected to be top 30 by the end of the year. I was pleased because we had three guys playing in their first varsity match and still competed very well. Nobody was overwhelmed.”
The Bears featured one of the top doubles teams in that nation, and the duo of Eric Thomas and Basu Ratnam defeated Lehigh senior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha and junior John Nespoli 8-1 at first doubles.
Fernandez-Concha manned second singles for Lehigh while fellow co-captain Ryan Lloyd played first singles. The three Mountain Hawks who made their varsity debuts were sophomores Jon-Michael Caminiti (third doubles) and Michael Gordon (sixth singles) and freshman Jesse Huth (fifth singles).
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday, January 28, when they visit in-state foe Penn State. The match gets underway at 2 p.m. from University Park, Pa.
1. Thomas/Ratnam (B) def. Concha/Nespoli (L) 8-1
2. Hanegby/ Kohli (B) def. Lloyd/Balshi (L) 8-2
3. Gardner/Pasanen (B) def. Herbert/Caminitii (L) 8-1
1. Dan Hanegby (B) def. Ryan Lloyd (L) 6-2, 6-4
2. Eric Thomas (B) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (L) 6-4, 6-2
3. Noah Gardner (B) def. Andrew Balshi (L) 6-1, 6-1
4. Saurabh Kohli (B) def. Brent Herbert (L) 6-1, 6-1
5. Chris Lee (B) def. Jesse Huth (L) 6-2, 6-0
6. Joe Scott (B) def. Michael Gordon (L) 6-3, 6-2