Posted: October 15, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – After two days of matches between five teams, the Lehigh Tennis Invitational wrapped up Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center and outside on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. One day after playing well against Hamilton College and Mount St. Mary’s, the Mountain Hawks took on Division I newcomer NJIT and Monmouth on Sunday. Lehigh won one doubles match and five of six singles matches versus NJIT in the morning, before winning three out of four doubles matches and six of eight clashes versus Monmouth.
Senior Ryan Lloyd, junior Brent Herbert and sophomore Jon-Michael Caminiti all won straight set matches versus NJIT while senior Evan Volkman and sophomore Drew Balshi needed three sets for positive results.
Lehigh wrapped up play against Monmouth. The Mountain Hawks’ top doubles team of Lloyd and Alfredo Fernandez-Concha were victorious, as were the No. 2 team of Balshi and Herbert and the No. 4 team of Volkman and Caminiti.
In singles play Lehigh won six matches, with only Balshi and Caminiti losing. Newcomers Jesse Huth and Mike Gordon each chipped in with straight set wins at seventh and eighth singles.
Lloyd was the Mountain Hawks’ top performer over the weekend, going 4-0 in singles and 2-1 in doubles action. Fernandez-Concha, Herbert and Caminiti were all 3-1 in singles, while Gordon and Volkman combined to go 5-0 in singles play.
“The guys did every single thing they were supposed to do,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “They beat everyone that they were supposed to beat. Our guys stepped up big and we showed this weekend that we can be a good tennis team.”
Lehigh will wrap up the fall season next weekend at the ITA Division I Regionals, beginning Thursday at Penn.
Lehigh vs. NJIT
3. Huth/Gordon (LU) def. Tracy/Lawandy (NJIT) 8-3
1. Steve Erickson (NJIT) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-8
2. Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Cosmin Chiujdea (NJIT) 6-2, 6-0
3. Drew Balshi (LU) def. Tim Weiman (NJIT) 2-6, 6-4, 10-5
4. Brent Herbert (LU) def. Ramy Lawandy (NJIT) 6-3, 6-0
5. Evan Volkman (LU) def. Keith Tracy (NJIT) 4-6, 6-0, 10-3
6. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU) def. Damian Wentzel (NJIT) 6-0, 6-0
Lehigh vs. Monmouth
1. Lloyd/Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Evenden/Forrest (MU) 8-5
2. Balshi/Herbert (LU) def. Corrie/McLane (MU) 8-6
3. Bruno/Gupta (MU) def. Huth/Gordon (LU) 8-6
4. Volkman/Caminiti (LU) def. Vidreiro/Hart (MU) 8-1
1. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Ben Evenden (MU) 6-3, 7-6
2. Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Tom Corrie (MU) 8-3
3. Pedro Bruno (MU) def. Drew Balshi (LU) 8-2
4. Brent Herbert (LU) def. Tim McLane (MU) 9-8
5. Evan Volkman (LU) def. Corey Forrest (MU) 6-5, retired
6. Vik Gupta (MU) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU) 7-5, 6-4
7. Jesse Huth (LU) def. Chris Hart (MU) 6-3, 6-2
8. Mike Gordon (LU) def. Jay Letchko (MU) 6-1, 6-0