Play wraps up at Lehigh Tennis Invitational
Posted: October 15, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh women wrapped up play at the Lehigh Tennis Invitational Sunday afternoon inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks played four doubles matches and four singles matches against the Golden Eagles of Southern Mississippi. Lehigh battled hard against Southern Miss, a member of Conference USA, but Golden Eagle players won all eight contested matches on Sunday.
“We showed excellent commitment to our goals and future strategies,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “We were consistently strong, but we need to be more aggressive in points and put quick pressure on our opponents. Hopefully this commitment to our goals will help us as we move into the spring season.”
Southern Miss won all four doubles contests against Lehigh tandems. In singles play, the three Mountain Hawks that did not face the Golden Eagles on Saturday took to the courts as did sophomore Ariela Cohen. Freshman Julie Arthofer was able to keep things close, extending Stephanie Dellocono to 7-5 in the first set, before falling 6-1 in the second set. Senior Cessa Murasko-Blank and sophomore Victoria Vityuk each battled Southern Miss for the first time.
Lehigh will wrap up the fall season next weekend when the Mountain Hawks head to Hanover, N.H. for the ITA Division I East Regional, beginning Friday at Dartmouth.
Lehigh vs. Southern Miss
1. Kammerer/Blackett (USM) def. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) 8-2
2. Dellocono/Gutterman (USM) def. Jacobi/Murasko-Blank (LU) 8-1
3. Dellocono/Gutterman (USM) def. Vityuk/Arthofer (LU) 8-4
4. Kammerer/Blackett (USM) def. Cohen/Furman (LU) 8-3
1. Ali Blackett (USM) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Stephanie Dellocono (USM) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Grace Kammerer (USM) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Lauren Gutterman (USM) def. Vic Vityuk (LU) 6-0, 6-0