Bucknell ends Lehigh's season in P.L. semifinal
Posted: April 22, 2006
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Third seeded Bucknell ended No. 2 Lehigh’s season as the Bison topped the Mountain Hawks by a 4-1 score in a Patriot League semifinal inside the Malek Tennis Center at Army on Saturday afternoon. The win propels the Bison into Sunday’s championship against the host Black Knights. Lehigh’s season ends with a 9-10 record.
Bucknell won the doubles point by winning two of the three matches to take a 1-0 lead. The Mountain Hawks tied the score at 1-1 as Cessa Murasko-Blank topped Bucknell’s Caitie Baffa by a score of 6-4, 6-1. Shortly thereafter, however, the Bison salted away the victory by earning wins at second, fourth, and sixth singles.
Bucknell and Army will meet in Sunday’s championship at noon. Earlier Saturday, the Black Knights blanked Colgate by a 4-0 score.
Bucknell 4, Lehigh 1
- Veronica Brown (B) vs. Gwen Dwyer – 7-6, 0-4 DNF
- Chelsea Mills (B) def. Ariela Cohen – 6-1, 6-3
- Paulina Gamboa (B) vs. Alexs Jacobi – 6-2, 2-6, 5-0 DNF
- Ashley Globerman (B) def. Allie Schwartz – 6-3, 6-2
- Cessa Murasko-Blank (L) def. Caitie Baffa – 6-4, 6-1
- JoAnna Grossman (B) def. Lindsay Long – 6-2, 6-3
- Brown/Gamboa (B) def. Jacobi/Starrine Foster – 8-2
- Mills/Baffa (B) def. Cohen/Dwyer – 9-8 (4)
- Schwartz/Long (L) def. Globerman/Grossman – 9-8 (5)