DUMFRIES, Va. – Lehigh saw its modest two-match winning streak come to an end on Friday, as the Mountain Hawks fell to American 5-2 at the Montclair Country Club, 40 minutes from the Eagles’ Washington campus. The Brown and White dropped the first point winning one of three doubles matches, and then could only muster wins in two of six singles contests as they fall to 11-5, 2-3 in the Patriot League.
The win improves American to 8-5, and 3-0 in league matches. The Eagles are currently tied for first place with Army.
The Mountain Hawks got singles wins from juniors Ryan Lloyd, who came back from a set down to win in three sets at second singles, and Alfredo Fernandez-Concha, who was victorious at third singles.
Lehigh was scheduled to play at Georgetown on Saturday, but the Hoyas chose not to play. Instead, the Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Thursday, when they welcome Bucknell to the Ulrich Varsity Courts in their regular season finale. The match gets underway at 3:00, with the Brown and White needing a win to their Patriot League Tournament aspirations alive.
American 5, Lehigh 2
1. Frayssinoux/Vazquez (AU) def. Smalley/Nespoli (LU) 9-7
2. Nelson/Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Proisy/Singer (AU) 8-4
3. Ben Weltman/Levitz (AU) def. Balshi/Lloyd (LU) 8-5
1. Nicolas Frayssinoux (AU) def. Randall Smalley (LU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Juancarlo Vazquez (AU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Sebastien Proisy(AU) 7-5, 0-6, 6-0
4. Andrew Singer (AU) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Jeffrey Schnell (AU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Josh Levitz (AU) def. Andrew Balshi (LU) 7-6, 6-2