Posted: April 13, 2006
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Lehigh wrapped up the regular season on Thursday, erasing a 3-0 deficit to defeat Bucknell 4-3 at the Bucknell Tennis Courts. The Mountain Hawks lost the doubles point and the first two singles matches, before reeling off four straight singles wins to pull off the thrilling come-from-behind victory. The win solidifies Lehigh’s place in next weekend’s Patriot League Tournament, and improves the Brown and White to 9-9, 3-2 in league matches.
The day’s key match came at fourth singles. Freshman Allie Schwartz trailed Ashley Globerman 5-2 in the third and final set, but the resilient rookie fought off four match points and came back to win a thriller to clinch the match for the Brown and White.
The Mountain Hawks also got singles wins from sophomore Alexis Jacobi in straight sets at third singles and juniors Cessa Murasko-Blank at fifth singles, and Lindsay Long at sixth singles.
Bucknell won all three doubles matches, and the first two singles flights, with Lehigh’s Gwen Dwyer falling to Veronica Brown in straight sets, and freshman Ariela Cohen losing to Chelsea Mills in three sets.
The win qualifies Lehigh for the Patriot League Tournament, which will take place April 22 and 23 at Army. The Mountain Hawks will likely be seeded second or third and in all likelihood will meet either Bucknell or Colgate in the semifinals, at 2:00 pm on Saturday, April 22.
Lehigh 4 Bucknell 3
1. Brown/Gamboa (BU) def. Jacobi/Foster (LU) 8-5
2. Mills/Baffa (BU) def. Dwyer/Cohen (LU) 8-3
3. Grossman/Globerman (BU) def. Long/Schwartz (8-5)
1. Veronica Brown (BU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Chelsea Mills (BU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
3. Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Paulina Gamboa (BU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Ashley Globerman (BU) 1-6, 7-5, 7-5
5. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. JoAnna Grossman (BU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4
6. Lindsay Long (LU) def. Tiffany Card (BU) 6-3, 6-3