Posted: April 11, 2006
EASTON, Pa. – For the second straight match, Lehigh kept its postseason aspirations alive with a 5-2 victory over archrival Lafayette Tuesday in front of a hostile pro-Leopards crowd at the Sullivan Courts. The Mountain Hawks took two of three doubles matches to earn the first point, and then won four of six singles contests with the Leopards, as the Brown and White defeated their rivals for the second straight year.
“This was a huge win for us in a very tough environment,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “We’ve had our backs against the wall our last two matches, but we beat Colgate on Sunday and then came here today and beat a feisty Lafayette team on the road.”
Lehigh took a 1-0 lead winning at first and third doubles. Senior Randall Smalley and sophomore John Nespoli defeated Paul Guarino and Pete Titus 8-4, and freshman Drew Balshi and Ryan Lloyd downed Brett Warren and Brett Kraft 8-4.
In singles play, Smalley defeated Guarino in straight sets at first singles, with Nespoli and Balshi chipping in with straight set wins at fifth and sixth singles respectively. Junior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha needed three sets to defeat Titus 6-4, 4-6, 10-3 as Lehigh improves to 11-4 overall, 2-2 in the Patriot League. The Mountain Hawks can bolster their tournament chances with a win in at least one of their final two league matches; at American on Friday or at home against Bucknell on April 20.
Lafayette got singles wins from Brett Warren, who downed Ryan Lloyd in straight sets, and Brett Kraft, who needed three sets to defeat Brad Nelson. The Leopards fall to 6-8, 0-4 in the Patriot League with the loss.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Friday when they head down to Washington, D.C. to take on an American team that is currently undefeated in league play. The match gets underway at 2:00 pm.
Lehigh 5 Lafayette 2
1. Smalley/Nespoli (LU) def. Guarino/Titus (LC) 8-4
2. Kojanis/Fehrs (LC) def. Nelson/Fernandez-Concha (LU) 8-6
3. Balshi/Lloyd (LU) def. Warren/Kraft (LC) 8-4
1. Randall Smalley (LU) def. Paul Guarino (LC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Brett Warren (LC) def. Ryan Lloyd (LU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Pete Titus (LC) 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
4. Brett Kraft (LC) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
5. John Nespoli (LU) def. Gabe Walker (LC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Drew Balshi (LU) def. Lee Kojanis (LC) 6-4, 6-4