Posted: April 9, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh picked up its first Patriot League win of the season on Sunday afternoon, with an impressive 7-0 shutout of Colgate at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won every match contested on the day, including all six singles matches in straight sets to improve to 10-4 overall, 1-2 in Patriot League matches. The win also keeps Lehigh’s Patriot League Tournament aspirations alive. Colgate falls to 4-11, 1-2 in the league.
The Mountain Hawks jumped to an early 1-0 behind three doubles victories. Lehigh’s top doubles team of senior Randall Smalley and junior John Nespoli needed a tiebreaker to top Marshall Wheeler and Mickey Gallagher 8-7.
In singles play, Lehigh rolled to six straight-set victories. Junior Brad Nelson was taken to a first set tiebreaker at fourth singles, but Nelson held on for a 7-6, 6-1 win over Wheeler. Smalley, Ryan Lloyd, Alfredo-Fernandez Concha, Nespoi and Andrew Balshi all collected singles win for the Brown and White.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Tuesday, when they travel to archrival Lafayette for a key Patriot League match that will get underway at 3:00 from the Sullivan Courts in Easton.
Lehigh 7 Colgate 0
1. Smalley/Nespoli (LU) def. Wheeler/Gallagher (CU) 8-7
2. Nelson/Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. MacIntyre/Innes (CU) 8-2
3. Lloyd/Balshi (LU) def. Deck/Shea (CU) 8-2
1. Randall Smalley (LU) def. Chris Innes (CU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Martin MacIntyre (CU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Mickey Gallagher (CU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Brad Nelson (LU) def. Marshall Wheeler (CU) 7-6, 6-1
5. John Nespoli (LU) def. Tyler Deck (CU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Andrew Balshi (LU) def. Mike Shea (CU) 6-0, 6-3