Posted: April 9, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Mountain Hawks dropped the doubles point, and were only able to muster a split of six singles matches, as Lehigh fell to Colgate 4-3 Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The loss drops the Brown and White to 8-9 overall, 2-2 in the Patriot League. The win improves the Raiders’ mark to 8-6, 1-1 in the league. Despite the loss, Lehigh is still alive for a spot in the Patriot League tournament, with one regular season match remaining.
The Raiders earned victories at first and third doubles to take a 1-0 lead. Lehigh’s lone doubles win came at second doubles where junior Gwen Dwyer and freshman Ariela Cohen knocked off Erin Fenn and Lindsay Grossman 8-2.
Lehigh needed to win four singles matches to take the match, but could only take three, as sophomore Alexis Jacobi won at third singles in straight sets, freshman Allie Schwartz won at fourth singles after her opponent, LiLien Vo retired, and junior Cessa Murasko-Blank earned a win at fifth singles, 7-6, 6-1 over Fenn.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up the regular season on Thursday as they travel to Lewisburg, Pa. for a Patriot League showdown at Bucknell. The match gets underway at 3:00 pm from the Bucknell Tennis Courts.
Colgate 4 Lehigh 3
1. Couture/Seaton (CU) def. Foster/Jacobi (LU) 8-3
2. Dwyer/Cohen (LU) def. Fenn/Grossman (CU) 8-2
3. Vo/Thaney (CU) def. Long/Murasko-Blank (LU) 8-6
1. Jackie Couture (CU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
2. Alex Seaton (CU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-1, 6-7, 6-7
3. Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Lindsay Grossman (CU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Li Lien Vo (CU) 5-7, 7-6, retired
5. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Erin Fenn (CU) 7-6, 6-1
6. Cameron Thaney (CU) def. Lindsay Long (LU) 6-3, 6-1