Posted: April 6, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh saw its two match winning streak come to an end on Thursday afternoon as the Mountain Hawks were beaten by Patriot League front-runner Army 6-1 at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks dropped all three doubles matches and won just one of six in singles, as they fall to 7-8 on the year, 1-1 in the Patriot League. Army is now 13-11, 4-0 in league matches.
The lone bright spot for the Brown and White was junior Gwen Dwyer who pulled out a win over Megan Noble at first singles. Dwyer won the first set 6-4, and then needed a tie-breaker to take the second set 7-6, 7-5 in the tie-breaker.
The Black Knights took the remaining five singles matches, although freshman Allie Schwartz took the first set from Amanda Paluch before losing in three sets 4-6, 6-3, 6-1.
Army got things started, winning all three doubles matches by comfortable margins, and despite Dwyer’s win, the Mountain Hawks could not string any momentum together in singles.
The Mountain Hawks will look to get back on the winning track with a busy weekend of tennis action at the Lewis Tennis Center this weekend. Lehigh will face American, Saturday at 11:00 am and will then face Colgate at 10:00 am on Sunday.
Army 6 Lehigh 1
1. Noble/B. Jones (A) def. Foster/Jacobi (L) 8-2
2. Flach/Shurtz (A) def. Cohen/Dwyer (L) 8-2
3. Paluch/Giles-Madden (A) def. Schwartz/Donohue (L) 8-3
1. Gwen Dwyer (L) def. Megan Noble (A) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
2. Kristin Flach (A) def. Ariela Cohen (L) 6-1, 6-0
3. Sarah Giles-Madden (A) def. Alexis Jacobi (L) 6-0, 6-1
4. Amanda Paluch (A) def. Allie Schwartz (L) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Jessica Shurtz (A) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (L) 6-2, 6-4
6. Diana Alquero (A) def. Starrine Foster (L) 7-5, 6-1