Posted: March 25, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh snapped its three match losing streak on Saturday with a 6-1 win over Bloomsburg at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and won five of six singles matches as they improve to 6-7 on the season heading into Patriot League play, which gets underway on Tuesday.
The Mountain Hawks took all three doubles matches to earn the first point, with the closest match coming at first doubles where sophomore Alexis Jacobi and senior Starr Foster held off Iida Hokkanen and Anna Melnikova 8-7, 7-5 in the tiebreaker.
In singles play senior Gwen Dwyer and freshman Ariela Cohen needed three sets, but earned victories at the top two flights. Freshman Allie Schwartz and juniors Lindsay Long and Cessa Murasko-Blank all provided straight set wins for Lehigh, with Long enjoying the easiest win, taking care of Tracy Nissenbaum 6-1, 6-2 at fifth singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Tuesday when they open up league play against archrival Lafayette. The match gets underway at 3:00 from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 6 Bloomsburg 1
1. Jacobi/Foster (LU) def. Hokkanen/Melnikova (BU) 8-7 (5)
2. Dwyer/Cohen (LU) def. Cunningham/Clofer (BU) 8-3
3. Donohue/Schwartz (LU) def. Wyckoff/Nissenbaum (BU) 8-4
1. Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Anna Melnikova (BU) 6-1, 4-6, 10-7
2. Ariela Cohen (LU) def. Iida Hokkanen (BU) 5-7, 6-1, 10-7
3. Torie Cunningham (BU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-1, 2-6, 10-2
4. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Lindsey Wyckoff (BU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Lindsay Long (LU) def. Tracy Nissenbaum (BU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Lauren Clofer (BU) 6-2, 6-2