Posted: March 22, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh dropped its third straight match on Wednesday, falling to Big East member Villanova 6-1 at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks dropped all three doubles matches and the first five singles matches, before junior Cessa Murasko-Blank won at sixth singles to avoid the shutout. The Brown and White fall to 5-7 on the season with the loss.
Murasko-Blank provided Lehigh’s only win on the day, dispatching Melissa Reed in straight sets. The Lehigh junior rolled to a win in the first set, 6-1, then needed a tiebreaker to win the second set 7-6 and earn a point for the Mountain Hawks. At fifth singles, junior Lindsay Long won the first set, but lost the next two against Lyndsey Lostritto.
The Mountain Hawks will look to get back on track on Saturday as they host Bloomsburg in their final tune-up before league play begins. The match gets underway at noon from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Villanova 6 Lehigh 1
1. A. Reed/Carlin (VU) def. Dwyer/Foster (LU) 8-2
2. Reilly/Williamson (VU) def. Jacobi/Cohen (LU) 8-3
3. Puchyk/M. Reed (VU) def. Schwartz/Donahue (LU) 8-5
1. Candice Carlin (VU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-3, 7-6
2. Leighann Reilly (VU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Jaclyn Williamson (VU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Daniella Phillis (VU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Lyndsey Lostritto (VU) def. Lindsay Long (LU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Melissa Reed (VU) 6-1, 7-6