Posted: March 7, 2006
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Lehigh opened up its spring break trip to Florida by edging Florida Tech 5-4 Monday afternoon at the Fee Avenue Courts. Matches against Division II schools are played to best-of-nine points. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles matches and then split the six singles matches to improve to 7-1 on the season.
After the Mountain Hawks top doubles team of senior Randall Smalley and sophomore John Nespoli dropped a close match 9-7, Lehigh’s second doubles team of juniors Brad Nelson and Alfredo Fernandez-Concha and its third doubles team of junior Ryan Lloyd and freshman Andrew Balshi both responded with victories to put the Brown and White up 2-1.
In singles play, Lehigh got straight set victories from Fernandez-Concha at third singles, Nespoli at fifth singles and Balshi at sixth singles as the Mountain Hawks survived for their sixth straight dual match win. Fernandez-Concha won his seventh straight match to open the season, while Nespoli and Balshi have each lost just once in singles play so far this season.
The Mountain Hawks will continue their trek through Florida on Wednesday when they will travel to Jacksonville to take on the Dolphins at 12:00.
Lehigh 5 Florida Tech 4
1. Kessler/Giel (FT) def. Smalley/Nespoli (LU) 9-7
2. Nelson/Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Casperson/Smith (FT) 8-2
3. Balshi/Lloyd (LU) def. Bonilla/Outlaw (FT) 8-2
1. Keith Kessler (FT) def. Randall Smalley (LU) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
2. Cliff Giel (FT) def. Ryan Lloyd (LU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Christian Smith (FT) 6-3, 6-0
4. Diego Quiros (FT) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 6-3, 7-6
5. John Nespoli (LU) def. Nick Bonilla (FT) 6-0, 6-2
6. Andrew Balshi (LU) def. Jeremy Casperson (FT) 6-4, 6-0