Posted: February 18, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh picked up a pair of wins on Saturday afternoon, edging Stony Brook 4-3 then blanking Monmouth 7-0. The Mountain Hawks came from behind to down one of the Northeast’s top teams, before cruising to a win against the Hawks. The Mountain Hawks have now won three straight matches overall and improve to 4-1 on the season.
“The Stony Brook win was a big win for our team,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “Stony Brook is regionally ranked and its been a while since we’ve beaten a ranked team.”
The match against Stony Brook came down to the final set of the final singles match. Lehigh freshman Andrew Balshi came through in a major way for the Brown and White, rolling past Matt Jacobson 6-1 in the third set to clinch the match for the Mountain Hawks.
Lehigh fell behind early, dropping the doubles point after losing two of the three matches. Senior Randall Smalley and sophomore John Nespoli combined to win their match 8-3 at first doubles. In singles play the Mountain Hawks began to assert themselves, winning matches in the first three flights. Smalley disposed of Tal Meir in straight sets in first singles, then juniors Ryan Lloyd and Alfredo Fernandez-Concha won three-set matches for the Mountain Hawks. Stony Brook picked up wins at fourth and fifth singles before Balshi’s heroics gave Lehigh the win.
The Mountain Hawks had a much easier time against Monmouth, as they swept all three doubles contests to earn the first point and then won all six singles matches to complete the shutout. Smalley, Lloyd and Balshi all picked up their second wins of the day, and Shook was able to get several of his back-ups a match. Sophomore Brent Herbert and junior Evan Volkman both responded with straight set victories at fifth and sixth singles.
Lehigh will return to action next Saturday, when the Mountain Hawks welcome Mount St. Mary’s to the Lewis Tennis Center for a match that gets underway at 2:00.
Lehigh 4 Stony Brook 3
1. Smalley/Nespoli (LU) def. Crooks/Kortum (SB) 8-3
2. Advani/Robitaille (SB) def. Lloyd/Nelson (LU) 8-2
3. Meir/Jacobson (SB) def. Fernandez-Concha/Balshi (LU) 8-4
1. Randall Smalley (LU) def. Tal Meir (SB) 6-3, 6-4
2. Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Mike Crooks (SB) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. J.F. Robitaille (SB) 7-6, 1-6, 6-4
4. Nihal Advani (SB) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Dave Kortum (SB) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Andrew Balshi (LU) def. Matt Jacobson (SB) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
Lehigh 7 Monmouth 0
1. Smalley/Nespoli (LU) def. Evenden/McLane (MU) 8-2
2. Fernandez-Concha/Nelson (LU) def. V. Gupta/Stanley (MU) 8-0
3. Balshi/Volkman (LU) def. Hart/Vidreiro (MU) 8-1
1. Randall Smalley (LU) def. Ben Evenden (MU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Vik Gupta (MU) 7-5, 6-1
3. John Nespoli (LU) def. Tim McLane (MU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Andrew Balshi (LU) def. Mitch Stanley (MU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Brent Herbert (LU) def. Chris Hart (MU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Evan Volkman (LU) def. Miles Vidreiro (MU) 6-0, 6-0