Posted: February 13, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Before a massive snowstorm belted much of the Northeast, Lehigh and Fordham did battle on the tennis courts at the Lewis Tennis Center, with the Mountain Hawks falling by a 5-2 score. The Mountain Hawks could not muster a win in doubles play but did manage a pair of singles victories as they fall to 1-3 on the season.
The Rams won all three matches in doubles play to secure the first point of the dual. The closest match was at second doubles where the Lehigh duo of junior Gwen Dwyer and Lindsay Long lost to Doina Sandor and Danielle Spigner in a tie-breaker 8-7.
In singles play, Lehigh dropped the first four flights, but did manage three-set victories from Long at fifth singles and junior Cessa Murasko-Blank at sixth singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday, February 19, when they welcome Stony Brook and Saint Joseph’s to the Lewis Tennis Center for a three-team meet that gets underway with Lehigh taking on Stony Brook at 9:00 am.
Fordham 5 Lehigh 2
1. Ligouri and Featherston (F) def. Foster and Jacobi (L) 8-3
2. Sandor and Spigner (F) def. Dwyer and Long (L) 8-7
3. Papa and Vulin (F) def. Schwartz and Donahue (L) 8-6
1. Dominique Ligouri (F) def. Gwen Dwyer (L) 6-4, 6-1
2. Christina Papa (F) def. Ariela Cohen (L) 6-3, 7-6
3. Ellanoira Featherston (F) def. Jacobi (L) 6-0, 6-0
4. Doina Sandor (F) def. Allie Schwartz (L) 6-7, 6-2, 13-11
5. Lindsay Long (L) def. Lisa Vulin (F) 4-6, 6-1, 12-10
6. Cessa Murasko-Blank (L) def. Danielle Spigner (F) 4-6, 6-3, 10-1