Posted: February 5, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh picked up its first victory of the spring season on Sunday afternoon as the Mountain Hawks defeated Towson 5-2 at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks dropped the doubles point but rallied to win five of six singles matches to even their record at 1-1 on the year. Towson falls to 3-2 with the loss.
Towson took a 1-0 lead in the match after winning two of three doubles contests, the deciding one being a 9-7 win by Bogmila Patzer and Evelyn Izaguirre over Lehigh’s Alexis Jacobi and Ariela Cohen. The Mountain Hawks lone doubles win came at third doubles, where juniors Ashley Donahue and Lindsay Long routed Amanda Scatuorchio and Ashley Pietryka 8-1.
The Mountain Hawks turned things on in singles play, where the each of the first three flights had their matches go three sets. Lehigh nabbed victories at first singles, where junior Gwen Dwyer bested Patzer 6-4, 4-6, 10-8, and also at second singles, where the freshman Cohen dropped the first set but bounced back to beat Eva Otanke 4-6, 7-5, 10-3.
Jacobi dropped a three-setter at third singles, but the Mountain Hawks earned victories from Allie Schwartz at fourth singles, Cessa Murasko-Blank at fifth singles and Starrine Foster at sixth singles to cement their first win of the new season.
Earlier Sunday, Lehigh dropped its season opener to Temple 6-1.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Thursday, as Lehigh welcomes Rutgers to the Lewis Tennis Center for a 3:00 match.
Lehigh 5 Towson 2
1. Otanke and Parsons (TU) def. Dwyer and Foster (LU) 8-4
2. Patzer and Izaguirre (TU) def. Jacobi and Cohen (LU) 9-7
3. Donahue and Long (LU) def. Scatuorchio and Woolfork (TU) 8-1
1. Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Bogmila Patzer (TU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
2. Ariela Cohen (LU) def. Eva Otanke (TU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-3
3. Evelyn Izaguirre (TU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 4-6, 6-1, 10-7
4. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Kelly Parsons (TU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Amanda Scatuorchio (TU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Starrine Foster (LU) def. Ashley Pietryka (TU) 6-2, 6-3