Posted: February 5, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh opened the spring season against a tough Temple squad on Sunday morning, but the Mountain Hawks came up on the short end of a 6-1 score at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Brown and White could only muster wins in one doubles match and one singles match, as they open the season at 0-1.
The Owls took the doubles point with wins in two of three doubles contests, with the Lehigh tandem of sophomore Alexis Jacobi and Ariela Cohen topping Barbara Oria and Eva Marsalkova 8-4.
In the singles matches, Mountain Hawks freshman Allie Schwartz was impressive in her first college match, defeating Marsalkova 6-2, 6-1 in fourth singles. Gwen Dwyer battled hard at first singles, but was beaten by Ana Maslesa 6-4 and 7-5.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday afternoon as they wrap up a tri-meet with a match against Towson. The match gets underway at 4:00 from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Temple 6 Lehigh 1
1. Maslesa and Kurashima (TU) def. Dwyer and Foster (LU), 8-4
2. Jacobi and Cohen (LU) def. Oria and Marsalkova (TU), 8-4
3. Pattabi and Frazier (TU) def. Long and Donahue (LU), 8-4
1. Ana Maslesa (TU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU), 6-4, 7-5
2. Yuri Kurashima (TU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU), 6-0, 6-3
3. Barbara Oria (TU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Eva Marsalkova (TU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Felicia Frazier (TU) def. Lindsay Long (LU), 6-0, 6-2
6. Sharanya Pattabi (TU) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU), 6-2, 6-2