Posted: February 4, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh opened up the spring season on a high note, downing Fairleigh Dickinson by a 6-1 score Saturday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles matches to earn the first point, then followed up with five straight-set victories in six singles contests. Lehigh is 1-0 on the season, while the Knights fall to 3-2 with the loss.
In doubles play, Lehigh’s number one team of senior Randall Smalley and sophomore John Nespoli dropped a tough 8-6 match, but Ryan Lloyd and Brad Nelson at second doubles, and Andrew Balshi and Alfredo Fernandez-Concha at third doubles coasted to wins to give the Mountain Hawks the first point and a 1-0 lead.
Smalley dropped another tough match to Dan Wynne in first singles, but Lehigh’s other five cruised to straight set wins.
The Mountain Hawks were also slated to face UMBC on Saturday, but that match was postponed. No makeup date has been announced.
Lehigh will return to action on Sunday, February 12 as the Mountain Hawks travel to West Point to face Patriot League foe Army and Big East member UConn. The Mountain Hawks will battle the Black Knights at 9:00 am before tangling with the Huskies at noon.
Lehigh 6 Fairleigh Dickinson 1
1. Wynne and Nereseyan (FDU) def. Smalley and Nespoli (LU), 8-6
2. Lloyd and Nelson (LU) def. Seaw and Blanco (FDU), 8-2
3. Balshi and Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Medina and Bowers (FDU), 8-1
1. Dan Wynne (FDU) def. Randall Smalley (LU), 7-6 (6), 6-2
2. Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Alber Nereseyan (FDU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Alfred Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Justin Seow (FDU), 6-1, 6-1
4. John Nespoli (LU) def. Estaban Blanco (FDU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Brad Nelson (LU) def. Juan Pablo Medina (FDU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Drew Balshi (LU) def. Rodrigo Avila (FDU), 6-2, 6-0