Mountain Hawks end season with big win over Lafayette
Posted: April 19, 2005
Bethlehem, PA – Lehigh wrapped up its 2005 season on a high note as the Mountain Hawks downed arch-rival Lafayette by a 5-2 score Tuesday afternoon at the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles contests to secure the first point then won four of six singles matches as they beat Lafayette
for the first time in four years.
The Mountain Hawks continuted to thrive in doubles play winnng two of three matches. Randall Smalley and Ty Esler were 8-2 winners at first doubles while Andrew Shapiro and John Nespoli picked up an 8-6 win at second doubles.
Lehigh put away the match in singles play as Randall Smalley, Brad Nelson and John Nespoli rolled to straight set victories at second, fifth and sixth singles. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha picked up a three set victory at fourth singles for the Brown and White.
The Mountain Hawks end the season with an 8-11 record, 2-4 in the Patriot League, good for fifth place. The Leopards are 6-10, 0-6 in the league. For Lehigh seniors Ty Esler and Andrew Shaprio, they defeat the Leopards for the first time in their college careers.
Lehigh vs. Lafayette Doubles
- Esler/Smalley (LU) def. Mott/Guarino (LC) 8-2
- Shapiro/Nespoli (LU) def. Kraft/Fehrs (LU) 8-6
- Zazzu/Warren (LC) def. Lloyd/Nelson (LU) 8-4
Lehigh vs. Lafayette Singles
- Andrew Mott (LC) def. Ty Esler (LU) 2-6, 6-2, 18-16
- Randall Smalley (LU) def. John Zazzu (LC) 6-0, 6-1
- Brett Warren (LC) def. Ryan Lloyd (LU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
- Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Brett Kraft (LC) 6-3, 2-6, 10-5
- Brad Nelson (LU) def. Jeremy Fehrs (LC) 6-2, 6-4
- John Nespoli (LU) def. Paul Guarino (LC) 6-1, 6-0