Mountain Hawks fall to Patriot League's top team
Posted: April 18, 2005
Bethlehem, PA – Lehigh battled hard against the top team in the Patriot League Monday afternoon but in the end it was American who came out on top with a 5-2 victory at the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Mountain Hawks captured the doubles point, but won only one of six singles matches as they fall to 7-11 overall, 1-4 in the Patriot League. American improves to 16-3 and a perfect 6-0 in league matches. The Eagles will host the Patriot League Tournament this weekend.
The Brown and White started strong, winning the doubles point as Ty Esler and Randall Smalley beat Juan Jaysingh and Jeff Schnell 8-2 at first doubles and Ryan Lloyd and Brad Nelson bested Juancarlo Vasquez and Mark Doumba at third doubles to put Lehigh up 1-0.
The Eagles however struck back in singles play, winning five of six matches, all in straight sets. The only Lehigh victory came at second singles where Smalley beat Vasquez in three sets.
Lehigh will wrap up the 2005 season on Tuesday when the Mountain Hawks host arch-rival Lafayette. First serve set for 3:00 from the Ulrich Varsity Courts in Bethlehem.
Lehigh vs. American Doubles
- Esler/Smalley (LU) def. Jaysingh/Schnell (AU) 8-2
- Frayssinoux/Proisy (AU) def. Shapiro/Nespoli (LU) 8-5
- Lloyd/Nelson (LU) def. Vasquez/Doumba (AU) 8-4
Lehigh vs. American Singles
- Juan Jaysingh (AU) def. Ty Esler (LU) 6-4, 6-3
- Randall Smalley (LU) def. Juancarlo Vasquez (AU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
- Nicolas Frayssinoux (AU) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 6-4, 6-1
- Sebastian Proisy (AU) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 6-1, 6-3
- Jeff Schnell (AU) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 7-5, 6-2
- Mark Doumba (AU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-2, 6-2