Lehigh downs Bucknell for first Patriot League win
Posted: April 15, 2005
Lewisburg, PA – After three frustrating close calls, Lehigh finally picked up its first Patriot League win of 2005, downing Bucknell 5-2 Friday afternoon at the Bucknell Tennis Courts. The Mountain Hawks rebounded from Thursday’s heartbreaking 4-3 loss to Army, winning two of three doubles matches and four of six singles contests. Lehigh is now 7-10 overall and 1-3 in Patriot League matches. The Bison fall to 7-12, 1-5 in the league.
For the second straight day Lehigh won the doubles point. Ty Esler and Randall Smalley were beaten at first doubles, but the tandems of Andrew Shapiro and John Nespoli at second doubles and Ryan Lloyd and Brad Nelson at third doubles picked up wins by identical 8-4 scores.
The Mountain Hawks were also sharp in singles play picking up four straight set victories. The two matches Lehigh lost both went three sets. Ty Esler bested Nick Denefrio 6-3, 6-4 at first singles. Ryan Lloyd at third singles, Brad Nelson at fifth singles and John Nespoli at sixth singles all racked up victories for the Brown and White.
“The tough loss yesterday (to Army) really took the air out of the guys sails,” said head coach Dave Shook after Friday’s victory. “Today the guys came out fired up, they forgot about yesterday, they forgot about being tired and put forth a superb effort. It’s a tribute to how much guts these guys have.”
Lehigh returns to the court on Monday when the Mountain Hawks will host the Patriot League’s top team, American. The match is slated to get underway at 3:00 from the Ulrich Varsity Courts in Bethlehem.
Lehigh vs. Bucknell Doubles
- Salam/Reibeisen (BU) def. Esler/Smalley (LU) 8-5
- Shapiro/Nespoli (LU) def. Denefrio/Menezes (BU) 8-4
- Lloyd/Nelson (LU) def. Lashnits/Young (BU) 8-4
Lehigh vs. Bucknell Singles
- Ty Esler (LU) def. Nick Denefrio (BU) 6-3, 6-4
- Ira Reibeisen (BU) def. Randall Smalley (LU) 0-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4)
- Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Asher Salam (BU) 7-6, 6-3
- John Lashnits (BU) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
- Brad Nelson (LU) def. Gerald DiChiara (BU) 6-3, 7-6 (1)
- John Nespoli (LU) def. Joe Menezes (BU) 6-1, 6-4