Mountain Hawks drop heartbreaker to Army 4-3
Posted: April 14, 2005
Bethlehem, PA – Lehigh hung tough with a good Army team all afternoon, but the Mountain Hawks could not hold on to an early lead as they fell 4-3 to the Black Knights Thursday afternoon at the Ulrich Varsity Courts. Lehigh took two of three doubles contests to win the first point and picked up two straight set victories in singles play, but the Mountain Hawks were unable to put the Black Knights away as they fall to 6-10, 0-3 in the Patriot League. Army is 17-4, 4-1 in league matches. All three of Lehigh’s Patriot League defeats have been by identical 4-3 scores.
The Mountain Hawks started strong as Ty Esler and Randall Smalley teamed for an 8-4 win at first doubles and Ryan Lloyd and Brad Nelson picked up a win at third doubles.
In singles play, Lehigh extended its lead as Smalley topped Sebastian Salas in straight sets in second singles and Lloyd had an easy victory 6-3, 6-1 at third singles. Lloyd’s victory would be the last for Lehigh on the afternoon. Army picked up hard earned straight set wins at fourth and sixth singles and Lehigh had a pair of chances, but Ty Esler dropped a tough three-setter to Carl Fisher and then with all eyes on the match at fifth singles, the Black Knight’s Kyle Roybal beat Brad Nelson in a dramatic third set tiebreaker.
“I’m stunned. We lost 4-3 to three of our toughest opponents: Colgate, Navy and Army,” said head coach Dave Shook after the match. “We we’re so close each time; we’re right there with them.”
There’s little time for rest for the Mountain Hawks who return to action on Friday when they will visit Bucknell. First serve set for 1:00 from Lewisburg.
Lehigh vs. Army Doubles
- Esler/Smalley (LU) def. Fisher/Kang (A) 8-4
- Salas/Roybal (A) def. Nespoli/Shapiro (LU) 8-3
- Lloyd/Nelson (LU) def. Collins/Good (A) 8-4
Lehigh vs. Army Singles
- Carl Fisher (A) def. Ty Esler (LU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Randall Smalley (LU) def. Sebastian Salas 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- Ryan Lloyd (LU) def. Michael Good (A) 6-3, 6-1
- Eddie Kang (A) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
- Kyle Roybal (A) def. Brad Nelson 6-2, 6-7 (7-4), 7-6 (7-3)
- Kevin Harris (A) def. John Nespoli (LU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)