Lehigh downs Lafayette 5-2; moves onto tournament
Posted: April 12, 2005
Easton, PA – Lehigh defeated archrival Lafayette by a score of 5-2 on Tuesday afternoon, and with the victory, the Mountain Hawks move onto the Patriot League Tournament as the number three seed this weekend at Army, where the Brown and White will meet No. 2 seed Bucknell.
With the win, Lehigh improves to 10-8 on the season, and 3-2 in league action, while the Leopards fall to 6-9 overall and 1-4 in Patriot League play.
In singles play, Gwen Dwyer, Maria Anorga, Lindsay Long and Cessa Murasko-Blank all picked up victories, while in doubles play, Foster and Alexis Jacobi won 8-4 at first doubles, and Dwyer and Anorga combined for an 8-1 victory in second doubles action to secure the tournament clinching victory.
Lehigh will return to action on April 16 as the Mountain Hawks travel to West Point, NY to take on the number-two seeded Bison of Bucknell in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament. The Brown and White will be the third seed and will look to advance to the championship round of the tournament on Sunday April 17 versus the winner of Army and Colgate.
Lehigh vs. Lafayette Doubles
1. Foster and Jacobi (LU) def. Carlin and C. Flezzani (LC) (8-4)
2. Dwyer and Angora (LU) def. Reed and Reilly (LC) (8-1)
3. Bailey and Rosman (LC) def. Long and Donahue (LU) (8-3)
Lehigh vs. Lafayette Singles
- Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Chez Saricas (LC) 6-3, 6-3
- Lisa Fung-Kee-Fung (LC) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-2, 6-3
- Maria Anorga (LU) def. Lauren Clarke (LC) 6-0, 6-0
- Stephanie Rosman (LC) def. Starr Foster (LU) 6-3, 6-1
- Lindsay Long (LU) def. Danielle Bailey (LC) 6-2, 6-2
- Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Jacqui Bonder (LC) 6-1, 6-4