Posted: April 9, 2005
Bethlehem, PA – It was a battle to the end at the Ulrich Varsity Courts but in the end Navy came out slightly ahead as the Midshipmen edged the Mountain Hawks 4-3 Saturday afternoon. The Loss drops Lehigh to 6-9, 0-2 in the Patriot League. Navy is 10-9, 2-1.
Lehigh started strong winning the first doubles match as Randall Smalley and Ty Esler beat Brandon Carter and Alex James 8-4. Doubles play would end in disappointment however as the Mids would win at second and third doubles to claim the first point of the match.
The teams split the six singles contests, but the Mountain Hawks needed to win at least four to win the match. Esler, Smalley and John Nespoli all won their singles matches. It ultimately came down to fifth singles where Navy’s Adrian Lai bested Brad Nelson 7-5, 7-5.
“If you see me in the parking lot, run me over,” joked head coach Dave Shook after the grueling, close match. Shook recognized the sportsmanship and effort from his team and in a final huddle told his Mountain Hawks he was proud of the way they battled.
Lehigh returns to action on Thursday, when the Mountain Hawks will take on Army. The match will get underway at 3:00 from the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Lehigh vs. Navy doubles
1. Esler/Smalley (L) def. Carter/James (N) 8-4
2. Lee/Lai (N) def. Lloyd/Nelson (L) 9-7
3. Kahl/Nate Malnati (N) def. Shapiro/Nespoli (L) 8-5
Lehigh vs. Navy singles
1. Ty Esler (L) def. Brandon Carter (N) 7-6, 6-1
2. Randall Smalley (L) def. Davy Lee (N) 7-6, 6-4
3. Stanley Kahl (N) def. Ryan Lloyd (L) 6-3,6-2
4. Haley Dodson (N) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (L) 6-4, 6-4
5. Adrian Lai (N) def. Brad Nelson (L) 7-5, 7-5
6. John Nespoli (L) def. Alex James (N) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4