Bronx, NY – Things started well for the Mountain Hawks against Fordham, but Lehigh eventually squandered an early lead and dropped its second straight match 5-2 to the Rams on Friday afternoon. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles contests to earn the first point, but then dropped five of the six singles matches as they fall to 9-8 on the season. Fordham improves to 11-5.
Lehigh dropped the match at first doubles as Starr Foster and Alexis Jacobi were defeated. The Mountain Hawks came back to win at second and third doubles to claim the first point of the match. Maria Anorga and Gwen Dwyer were 8-6 winners over Doina Sandor and Danielle Spigner 8-6 at second doubles and Lindsay Long and Ashley Donohue bested Liz Murray and Lisa Vulin 8-4 at third doubles.
Singles play was not as kind as the Rams won five of six classes including three in straight sets. Foster picked up Lehigh’s only win, in straight sets over Spigner. Dwyer and Cessa Murasko-Blank both dropped tough three-set matches at first and sixth singles.
The Mountain Hawks have one more match remaining on their schedule Lehigh will visit archrival Lafayette on Tuesday afternoon. At 9-8, 2-2 in the Patriot League Lehigh will most likely need a victory to qualify for the Patriot League Tournament, which gets underway next weekend. First serve set for 3:00 from Easton.
1. Ellenoira Featherston (F) def. Gwen Dwyer (L), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Christina Papa (F) def. Maria Anorga (L), 6-1, 6-2
3. Doina Sandor (F) def. Alexis Jacobi (L), 6-1, 6-4
4. Lisa Vulin (F) def. Lindsay Long (L), 6-2, 6-1
5. Starrine Foster (L) def. Danielle Spigner (F), 6-4, 6-2
6. Elizabeth Murray (F) def. Francesca Murasko-Blank (L), 6-3, 5-7, 10-8
1. Featherston/Papa (F) def. Foster/Jacobi (L), 8-3
2. Dwyer/Anorga (L) def. Sandor/Spigner (F), 8-6
3. Ashley Donohue/Long (L) def. Vulin/Murray (F), 8-4