After long layoff, Mountain Hawks blank FDU
Posted: April 8, 2005
Bethlehem, PA – Playing in its first match in nearly two weeks Lehigh showed little signs of rust as the Mountain Hawks blanked Fairleigh Dickinson 7-0 Thursday at the Ulrich Varsity Courts. Lehigh won all six of seven contested matches and also benefited from a pair of Knight forfeits to improve to 6-8 on the season. FDU remains winless at 0-7 on the year.
Playing without the services of top flight junior Randall Smalley, the Mountain Hawks were forced to shuffle their lineup. Fairleigh Dickinson’s Daniel Wynne and Justin Seow defeated Lehigh’s Andrew Shapiro and John Nespoli in first doubles by an 8-6 score. Brad Nelson and Ryan Lloyd came back to win at second doubles for Lehigh and the Mountain Hawks won the doubles point when Ty Esler and Evan Volkman won by forfeit at third doubles.
In singles play Lehigh took the first five flights and Shapiro was a winner by forfeit in sixth singles. Esler needed three sets to dispose of Wynne in first singles, while Lloyd, Alfredo Fernandez-Concha, Nelson and Nespoli were all straight set winners.
Lehigh returns to the Ulrich Varsity Courts on Saturday when the Mountain Hawks resume Patriot League Play against Navy. First serve set for 11:00 am.
Lehigh vs. FDU Doubles
- Wynne and Seow (FDU) def. Shapiro and Nespoli (LU) 8-6
- Nelson and Lloyd (LU) def. Bowers and Lemay (FDU) unavailable
- Esler and Volkman (LU) win by forfeit
Lehigh vs. FDU Singles
- Ty Esler (LU) def. Daniel Wynne (FDU) 7-5, 5-7, 10-6
- Ryan Lloyd def. Justin Seow (FDU) 6-4, 6-2
- A. Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Chris Bowers (FDU) 6-0, 6-0
- Brad Nelson (LU) def. Charles Lemay (FDU) 6-0, 6-0
- John Nespoli (LU) def. Constandinos Efthymious (FDU) 6-0, 6-0
- Andrew Shapiro (LU) win by forfeit