Posted: March 23, 2005
– Playing in their final tune-up before Patriot League play, the Mountain Hawks stepped up their game and defeated Villanova 6-1 Wednesday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center
. Lehigh swept all three doubles contests and won five of six singles matches to improve to 7-5 on the season heading into League play, which begins Thursday. The Wildcats are now 3-5 on the season with the loss.
“I’m very proud of the team, this is a big win,” said coach Dave Shook after the match. “Villanova is a good team, they’ve had a lot of success this year so to beat them is great for us.”
Lehigh took the early lead with three doubles victories. Alexis Jacobi and Starr Foster notched an 8-6 win in first doubles, while Gwen Dwyer and Maria Anorga as well as Lindsay Long and Ashley Donohue picked up victories to make it a Mountain Hawks sweep of doubles matches.
The Mountain Hawks were also strong in singles play winning five matches, including a pair of big victories at the top flights by Dwyer and Jacobi over two highly ranked Villanova players.
“Our top two went out and beat their top two and that was especially gratifying,” Shook said.
There will be no rest for the Mountain Hawks, who will head to West Point, N.Y. on Thursday to take on the Black Knights of Army in their Patriot League opener. The match gets underway at 3:30 from the Lichtenberg Tennis Center.
Lehigh vs. Villanova Doubles
1. Foster and Jacobi (LU) def. Carlin and C. Flezzani (V) (8-6)
2. Dwyer and Angora (LU) def. Reed and Reilly (V) (8-3)
3. Long and Donohue (LU) def. M. Flezzani and Puchyr (V) (8-5)
Lehigh vs. Villanova Singles
- Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Candice Carlin (V) 6-2, 6-3
- Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Courtney Flezzani (V) 6-2, 6-7 (6), 6-4
- Leighann Reilly (V) def. Maria Anorga (LU) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
- Lindsay Long (LU) def. Morgan Flezzani (V) 6-2, 6-2
- Starr Foster (LU) def. Zoe Murray (V) 6-2, 6-1
- Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Taryn Cappellini (V) 8-1