Mountain Hawks comeback thwarted by darkness
Posted: March 22, 2005
Villanova, PA – Lehigh trailed Villanova by a 3-2 score with two matches still going, Tuesday evening at the Villanova Tennis Complex. Both remaining contests were in the third set and the Mountain Hawks had the momentum, but darkness suspended play without a winner being determined. Lehigh remains at 5-7 on the season heading into Patriot League play this weekend.
The Wildcats took two of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Lehigh took the victory at second doubles as John Nespoli and Andrew Shapiro topped Dimitri Chimerakis and Scott Fahrendorf 8-2.
The two teams split four completed singles matches, with Ty Esler topping Aaron Kusza in straight sets in first singles and Randall Smalley defeating Ricardo Baraldi in three sets at second singles. In the two matches that were not completed Lehigh had momentum. At third singles Ryan Lloyd was up 5-2 in the third set before darkness set in. At sixth singles John Nespoli won the second set and was deadlocked at 2 in the third set before nightfall ended play.
The Mountain Hawks will be back in action on Saturday when they head to Hamilton, N.Y. to open up their Patriot League schedule against Colgate. First match set for 2:00 from Sanford Fieldhouse.
Lehigh vs. Villanova Singles
- Ty Esler (LU) def. Aaron Kusza (VU), 6-0, 6-4
- Randall Smalley (LU) def. Ricardo Baraldi (VU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
- Dimitri Chimerakis (VU) vs. Ryan Lloyd (LU), incomplete, 6-4, 4-6, 2-5
- Angel Rubio (VU) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (VU), 6-2, 6-3
- Scott Fahrendorf (VU) def. Brad Nelson (LU), 7-5, 7-6
- Sean Gallagher (VU) vs. John Nespoli, incomplete, 7-5, 6-7, 2-2
Lehigh vs. Villanova Doubles
- Kusza/Baraldi (VU) def. Esler/Smalley (LU), 8-6
- Nespoli/Shapiro (LU) def. Chimerakis/Fahrendorf (VU), 8-2
- Gallagher/Farmer (VU) def. Nelson/Concha (LU), 9-8