Posted: March 19, 2005
University Park, PA
– Following Tuesday’s blanking of West Chester, the Mountain Hawks could not keep the momentum going Friday afternoon as Lehigh fell to Penn State
by a 7-0 score. The Nittany Lions swept all three doubles matches and all six singles matches to even their record at 5-5. With the loss Lehigh falls to 6-5 on the spring season.
Penn State earned the first point by winning all three doubles contests, the closest of which was the second flight where Maria Husain and Andrea Nicolescu needed a tiebreaker to beat Gwen Dywer and Maria Anorga 9-8 (7-5).
In singles, the Nittany Lions cruised to six straight set victories to account for the final 7-0 team score.
The Mountain Hawks will be back in action on Wednesday when they will travel to Philadelphia to take on Villanova at 2:30.
Lehigh vs. Penn State doubles
1. Abraham/Schular (PSU) def. Jacobi/Foster (LU) 8-3
2. Husain/Niculescu (PSU) def. Dwyer/Anorga (LU) 9-8 (5)
3. BeVard/McKeown (PSU) def. Donohue/Long (LU) 8-2
Lehigh vs. Penn State singles
1. Maria Husain (PSU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Sarah Spence (PSU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Sasha Abraham (PSU) def. Maria Anorga (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Katelyn BeVard (PSU) def. Starr Foster (LU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Andrea Niculescu (PSU) def. Lindsay Long (LU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jenny Schular (PSU) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) 6-1, 6-2