Mountain Hawks blanked by Florida Gulf Coast
Posted: March 9, 2005
Fort Myers, FL – Lehigh suffered its second consecutive loss to a top Division II school from the sunshine state as the Mountain Hawks fell to Florida Gulf Coast 9-0 Tuesday afternoon. Division II matches use nine point scoring as opposed to seven point scoring in Division I. The Eagles swept all three doubles matches and all six singles contests to post the shutout. Lehigh falls to 4-7 on the season.
The Mountain Hawks hung tough in all three doubles matches, but came up on the short end. The closest match was at third doubles, where FGCU’s Alberto Gutierrez and Seth Fogelman edged Ryan Lloyd and Brad Nelson 9-7. The Eagles then swept all six singles matches to cruise to the victory.
Lehigh returns to the court on Tuesday March 15, when the Mountain Hawks return home to take on West Chester. The match is slated to get underway at 3:00 from the Lewis Tennis Center in Bethlehem.
Lehigh vs. FGCU Singles
- Richard Stempnowski (FGC) def. Ty Esler (LU) 6-1, 6-2
- Juan Osorio (FGC) def. Randall Smalley (LU) 7-5, 6-0
- Alberto Gutierrez (FGC) def. Ryan Lloyd (LU) 6-3, 6-2
- Tim Offerman (FGC) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 6-1, 6-2
- Seth Fogelman (FGC) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 7-5, 6-2
- Gavin Manders (FGC) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-3, 6-4
Lehigh vs. FGCU Doubles
- Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGC) def. Esler/Smalley (LU) 8-6
- Osorio/Offerman (FGC) def. Shapiro/Fernandez-Concha (LU) 8-4
- Gutierrez/Fogelman (FGC) def. Lloyd/Nelson (LU) 9-7