Mountain Hawks fall to tough Eckerd squad in Florida
Posted: March 8, 2005
– The Lehigh men’s and women’s tennis teams were swept by Eckerd College
on Monday. The Tritons, one of the top teams in Division II blanked the Lehigh men by an 7-0 score, while the women lost 5-3. The losses drop the Lehigh men to 4-6 on the season, while the women are now 5-3.
The Mountain Hawks simply could not muster any momentum against a tough Eckerd men’s team. Lehigh dropped all three doubles contests as well as four singles contests. Flight fifth and sixth singles were not contested on account of darkness.
Coach Dave shook says the team has had difficulty adjusting to the Florida weather, which allows outdoor matches.
“Playing outdoors is so different from playing inside and right now our players are adjusting to that,” Shook said. “Right now a lot of the guys are missing the easy shots but making the hard shots.”
The Lehigh women had slightly more success, winning two singles matches and a doubles match. Lindsay Long and Maria Anorga continued their strong run at third doubles with an 8-1 win over Carolyn Niedermayer and Chelsea Harrison. Long also picked up a 6-3, 6-1 win in fifth singles, while Cessa Murasko-Blank won at sixth singles. Anorga was up in her match at fourth singles before it was called for darkness.
The Mountain Hawks return to the court on Tuesday when the men will take on Florida Gulf Coast at 2:00. The Lehigh women are off until Thursday, when the Brown and White will face James Madison at 11:00 in Tampa.
Lehigh vs. Eckerd Men’s Singles
- Sebastian Niedermayer (E) def. Ty Esler (L) 6-4, 6-4
- Javier Romero-Barrio (E) def. Randall Smalley (L) 6-2, 6-1
- Byron Kidd (E) def. Ryan Lloyd (L) 6-4, 7-6
- David Lopez (E) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (L) 4-1
Lehigh vs. Eckerd Men’s Doubles
- Niedermayer and Nikola Vujovic (E) def. Smalley and Esler (L) 8-3
- Elmar Koenig and Romero-Barrio (E) def. Shapiro and Fernandez Concha (L) 8-4
- Lopez and Shodiev (E) def. Lloyd and Nelson (L) 9-8
Lehigh vs. Eckerd Women’s Singles
- Giana Oliviera (E) def. Gwen Dwyer (L) 6-1, 6-3
- Julia Lima (E) def. Alexis Jacobi (L) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
- Amanda McClure (E) def. Starr Foster (L) 6-2, 6-4
- Maria Anorga (L) leads Rachel Finch (E) 4-1 (susp. darkness)
- Lindsay Long (L) def. Carolyn Niedermayer (E) 6-1, 6-3
- Cessa Murasko-Blank (L) def. Chelsea Harrison (E) 8-1
Lehigh vs. Eckerd Women’s Doubles
- Oliviero and Lima (E) def. Jacobi and Foster (L) 8-4
- McClure and Finch (E) def. Ashley Donahue and Dwyer (L) 8-1
- Long and Anorga (L) def. Harrison and Niedermayer (E) 8-1