Mountain Hawks win streak comes to an end in Florida
Posted: March 7, 2005
Lakeland, FL – Lehigh had its five match winning streak snapped Sunday afternoon as the Mountain Hawks fell to Florida Southern 5-4 in the first match of a three match series in the sunshine state. Lehigh won two of three doubles contests but dropped four of six singles matches as they fall to 5-2 on the season. Florida
Southern improves to 7-3 on the season.
The Brown and White started strong as Gwen Dwyer and Ashley Donohue teamed to win at second doubles and then Maria Anorga and Lindsay long teamed for an 8-2 win.
The Mocs came back in singles play, as the No. 24 team in division II took the lead winning the first four singles contests. Anorga defeated Lindsey Willis 6-0, 6-0 in fifth singles, while Cessa Murasko-Blank was a 7-5, 6-2 winner at sixth singles.
Lehigh will next face Eckerd College Monday at 2:00.
1. Linda Mrkic (FSC) def. Gwen Dwyer 6-2, 6-0
2. Barbara Oria (FSC) def. Alexis Jacobi 6-0, 6-1
3. Lidia Gandarias (FSC) def. Starr Foster 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Lara Alcobendas (FSC) def. Lindsay Long 6-0, 6-1
5. Maria Angora (LU) def. Lindsey Willis 6-0, 6-0
6. Francesca Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Megan Fincham 7-5, 6-2
1. Mrkic/Alcobendas (FSC) def. Jacobi/Foster 8-2
2. Dwyer/Ashley Donohue (LU) def. Oria/Gandarias 8-6
3. Angora/Long (LU) def. Willis/Fincham 8-2