Mountain Hawks top Stony Brook for third straight win
Posted: February 21, 2005
Bethlehem, PA – Lehigh picked up its third consecutive victory Sunday afternoon as the Mountain Hawks topped Stony Brook 6-1 at the Lewis Tennis Center. It was a long day for both teams as they had to wait for the completion of the lengthy men’s match between the two schools. The Mountain Hawks swept a pair of doubles matches and five of six singles contests as they improve to 3-1 on the season. Stony Brook remains winless at 0-3.
In doubles action, Starr Foster and Alexis Jacobi were victorious in first singles and Gwen Dwyer and Ashley Donohue took home a victory in second singles. Because of time constraints, there was no third doubles match.
Lehigh then proceeded to take five of six singles matches as Jacobi, Dwyer, Donohue and Cessa Murasko-Blank all won in straight sets and Maria Anorga won in a third set tiebreaker.
The Mountain Hawks return to the court next weekend with home matches against Delaware on Saturday and Drexel on Sunday.
Lehigh vs. Stony Brook Singles
- Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Anne Catherine Valle (SB) 6-0, 7-5
- Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Sandy Wijerathe (SB) 7-6 (5), 6-3
- Hana Chovanova (SB) def. Starr Foster (LU) 6-2, 6-2
- Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Monica Myers (SB) 7-5, 7-6
- Ashley Donahue (LU) def. Victoria Vasile (LU) 6-3, 6-1
- Maria Anorga (LU) def. Rachel Kimelman (SB) 2-6, 6-0, 10-4
Lehigh vs. Stony Brook Doubles
- Foster and Jacobi (LU) def. Valle and Wijerathe (SB) 8-5
- Dwyer and Donohue (LU) def. Chovanova and Myers (SB) 8-2