Posted: February 12, 2005
Bethlehem, PA – Lehigh salvaged a split against Howard and Monmouth Saturday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. Early in the day the Mountain Hawks dropped a grueling 4-3 match to Howard, but then rebounded with a dominating 7-0 win over Monmouth. With the split, Lehigh is now 2-3 on the season.
Things started well for Lehigh against the Bison, as the Mountain Hawks took two of three doubles matches to earn a point. Ty Esler and Randall Smalley teamed for a victory as did Ryan Lloyd and John Nespoli. In singles the Brown and White only took two of six matches, with Alfredo Fernandez Concha winning at fourth singles and Nespoli winning at sixth singles.
It was a much smoother ride against Monmouth in the afternoon. Lehigh swept all three doubles matches and all six singles contests against the Hawks for the convincing 7-0 win.
Despite the split, coach Dave Shook sees plenty of room for improvement. “I’m a little disappointed in the mental toughness of my team today. We didn’t win what we were supposed to win,” he said. He believes that Howard knew what it was like to battle for the match point, and they did so with success. Shook will use this match as a lesson to his players and will better prepare them to earn the match points when it comes down to the wire.
The Mountain Hawks will be back in action next weekend when they host Boston College, Saturday at 10:00 and then will host Stony Brook Sunday at 9:00.
Lehigh vs. Howard Singles
1. Brandon Smith (H) def. Ty Esler (LU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Kenneth Brown (H) def. Randall Smalley (LU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jibade Thomas(H) def. Ryan Lloyd(LU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6
4. Fernandez-Concha(LU) def. Faron Carter 6-4, 6-2
5. Othman Garma def. Brad Nelson (LU) 8(7-6), 7-6(8)
6. John Nespoli(LU) def. Neilabh Avashti(H) 6-4, 6-3
Lehigh vs. Howard Doubles
- Elser/Smalley(LU) def. Smith/Brown (H) 8-3
- Thmoas/Carter (H) def. Nelson/Nespoli (LU) 8-6
- Lloyd/Fernandez-Concha def. Garma/Avashti (H) 8-6
Lehigh vs. Monmouth Singles
1. Ty Elser (LU) def. Abel Lampa
2. Randall Smalley (LU) def. Jay Letchko
3. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Chris Hart 6-0,6-0
4. John Nespoli (LU) def. Raj Gupta
5. Andrew Shapiro (LU) def. Craig Sachetto
6. Brent Herbert (LU) def. Rich Price
Lehigh vs. Monmouth Doubles
1. Esler/Smalley(LU) def. Lampa/Letchko(M) 8-2
2. Nelson/Shapiro(LU) def. Sachetto/Price(M)8-0
3. Nespoli/Herbert(LU) def. Hart/Gupta(M)8-0