Lehigh falls in home opener to Stetson
Posted: February 4, 2005
Bethlehem, PA – Lehigh was swept by the Stetson Hatters 7-0 in the Mountain Hawks home opener on Friday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center in the opening part of the Lehigh Winter Invitational. Lehigh has still yet to win a game this year, having dropped both of its matched by identical 7-0 scores.
At first singles Randall Smalley dropped a tough 6-3, 6-4 decision to Marcus Echtler, while Ty Esler fell to Joey Jones in second singles. Brad Nelson pushed Thomas Bross to the limit, extending the first set of their match to 7-6 before bowing 6-3 in the second set.
In doubles play, Randall Smalley and Ty Elser fell 8-3 to the combination of Thomas Bross and Joey Jones in first play, while Brad Nelson and freshman John Nespoli took their match at second doubles as far as it could go, but fell 9-7 to the tandem of Mario Alberto Cayo and Christian Moe.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Saturday as the Mountain Hawks host Villanova in the second part of the Lehigh Winter Invitational.
Lehigh vs. Stetson Singles
- Marcus Echtler (SU) def. Randall Smalley (LU) 6-3, 6-4
- Joey Jones (SU) def. Ty Esler (LU) 3-3
- Marcus Alberto Cavo (SU) def. Ryan Lloyd (LU) 6-1, 6-2
- Christian Moe (SU) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 6-4, 6-3
- Thomas Bross (SU) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 7-6, 6-3
- Ted Davis (SU) def. Evan Volkman (LU) 6-7, 7-6, 7-6
Lehigh vs. Stetson Doubles
- Bross and Jones (SU) def. Smalley and Esler (LU) 8-3
- Cayo and Moe (SU) def. Nelson and Nespoli (LU) 9-7
- Echtler and Stubbs (SU) def. Lloyd and Fernandez-Concha (LU) 8-5