Mountain Hawks fall to Leopards in season finale
Posted: April 20, 2004
Easton, PA – The Mountain Hawks saw their season come to an end Tuesday, losing a close 4-3 match to Lafayette. Jon Swanson’s match in the third flight went all the way to a tiebreak, but Peter Titus for Lafayette took the final point to win 7-5 and clinch the match for the Leopards.
The match at No. 3 singles lasted so long, the others were already over while the match was still going. The teams were tied 3-3 leading up to that point.
The Leopards took an early lead in the match by claiming two of three doubles matches. Ty Esler and Alfredo Fernandez-Concha won the only set for Lehigh with an 8-4 win over Jeremy Fehrs and Devin Murphy.
The teams split the six singles matchups, with Lehigh claiming fourth through sixth flights singles and Lafayette taking first through third.
Ryan Lloyd won his match 6-3, 7-5 over Craig Helstowski, Fernandez-Concha won 6-2, 6-2 over John Zazzu, and Brad Nelson won 6-2, 7-5 over Murphy.
Lehigh closes its season 8-8 overall, 1-5 in Patriot League play.
1. Andrew Mott (LC) d. Ty Esler, 6-2, 6-3
2. Brett Warren (LC) d. Randall Smalley, 6-1, 6-3
3. Peter Titus (LC) d. Jon Swanson, 5-7, 7-6(4), 7-6(5)
4. Ryan Lloyd (LU) d. Craig Helstowski, 6-3, 7-5
5. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) d. John Zazzu, 6-2, 6-2
6. Brad Nelson (LU) d. Devin Murphy, 6-2, 7-5
1. Mott/Titus (LC) d. Nelson/Lloyd, 8-1
2. Esler/Fernandez-Concha (LU) d. Jeremy Fehrs/Murphy, 8-4
3. Warren/Zazzu (LC) d. Smalley/Swanson, 8-2