DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team saw its nine match win streak come to an end on Wednesday as the Mountain Hawks dropped the final two games of their spring break trip. The day began with Lehigh dropping a 6-1 decision to Big East member Marquette and ended with a 4-1 loss to host Bethune-Cookman. The Mountain Hawks are now 10-3 on the season.
In Wednesday’s first match the Mountain Hawks dropped two tightly contested doubles matches at the No. 1 and No. 3 flights to fall behind 1-0 and then the Golden Eagles won the first five singles flights to deal Lehigh its first loss since February 2. Freshman Jeremy Kochman edged James Start 12-10 in a ten point third set tiebreak to post a three set victory over No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks tinkered with their lineup for their second match of the day but were unable to get past the Wildcats. Bethune-Cookman won the top two doubles flights and won three of the four singles matches that were played to completion.
Sophomore Mitchell Petersen accounted for Lehigh’s lone point with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Diego Gravito at No. 2 singles. Senior Andrew Krentz moved up to No. 3 singles and won the first set but ultimately fell to Santiago Lobelo in three sets. The match ended once the Wildcats reached four points, so matches at No. 1 and No. 5 singles were not finished.
The Mountain Hawks will return home to face Saint Joseph’s Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Marquette 6, Lehigh 1
1. Mamalat/Teofanovic (MU) def. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) 8-6
2. Tehrani/Collins (MU) vs. Kochman/Savran (LU) DNF
3. Sklyr/Stark (MU) def. Gilman/Krentz (LU) 8-6
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Ben Gilman (LU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Mitchell Petersen (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Logon Collins (MU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Gleb Sklyr (MU) def. Timur Chernykh (LU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. James Stark (MU) 7-5, 5-7, 12-10
Bethune-Cookman 4, Lehigh 1
1. Varon/Day (BC) def. Petersen/Chernykh (LU) 8-3
2. Lobelo/Gravito (BC) def. Savran/Kochman (LU) 8-3
3. Rotich/Lima (BC) vs. Gilman/Krentz (LU) 4-4, DNF
1. Ben Gilman (LU) vs. Seve Day (BC) 6-2, 4-6, 2-4
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Diego Gravito (BC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Santiago Lobelo (BC) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Moritz Pronath (BC) def. Timur Chernykh (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jeremy Kochman (LU) vs. Leonardo Lima (BC) 7-6, 3-4, DNF
6. Kip Jackson (BC) def. D.J. Goldblum (LU) 6-2, 6-3