MELBOURNE, Fla. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team posted its tenth win of the season and its ninth in a row as the Mountain Hawks downed Fairfield 6-1 Tuesday evening at DeSoto Park. Rain delayed the start of the match but once things got underway, Lehigh won two doubles matches and five singles matches to improve to 10-1 overall and 2-0 on its spring break trip.
In doubles play the Mountain Hawks’ No. 2 team of senior Matt Savran and freshman Jeremy Kochman started things off with an 8-1 win over Erik Kremheller and George Tioutine. Lehigh’s No. 3 team of senior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Ben Gilman clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win over Cam Amyot and Reece Breault. The match at No. 1 singles was not finished, with Lehigh’s top team of sophomore Mitchell Petersen and junior Mark Goldberg serving 30-0 but trailing 6-7.
Singles action featured a number of tightly contested sets and matches. Junior Timur Chernykh put Lehigh up 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Breault at No. 6 singles, while Gilman downed Erik Kremheller 6-4, 6-2 at the top flight. Krentz clinched Lehigh’s ninth straight win with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Amyot at No. 5 singles.
Petersen extended Lehigh’s lead with a straight set win at No. 3 singles after winning a second set tiebreak 7-2. Savran won a third set ten point tiebreaker for the Mountain Hawks’ fifth singles win, while Fairfield (6-3) posted its lone win at No. 2 singles where Dennis Zlobinsky downed Goldberg in three sets, winning a third-set tiebreak 11-9.
The Mountain Hawks will close out their spring break trip with two matches Wednesday in Daytona Beach, Fla. Lehigh will face Marquette out of the Big East at 9 a.m. and Bethune-Cookman at 3 p.m.
Lehigh 6, Fairfield 1
1. Petersen/Goldberg (LU) vs. Zlobinsky/Solomon (FU) 6-7, 30-0, DNF
2. Savran/Kochman (LU) def. Kremheller/Tioutine (FU) 8-1
3. Gilman/Krentz (LU) def. Amyot/Breault (FU) 8-5
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Erik Kremheller (FU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Dennis Zlobinsky (FU) def. Mark Goldberg (LU) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (11-9)
3. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. George Tioutine (FU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Ofir Solomon (FU) 5-7, 7-6 (7-4), 10-7
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Cam Amyot (FU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Reece Breault (FU) 6-1, 6-3