MELBOURNE, Fla. – In the opening match of its spring break trip, Lehigh played outdoors for the first time this season, but the Mountain Hawks fell to a tough Florida Tech squad 8-1 Monday on the Fee Avenue Courts. In a match that was played with Division II nine-point scoring, Lehigh mustered just one point against a Panther team that is ranked 16th in Division II.
Lehigh’s No. 3 doubles team of junior Taylor Hampshire and freshman Ali Kaminetsky accounted for the Mountain Hawks’ only point with an 8-4 win over over Flavia Zisi and Jessica Widmark. Under the Division II scoring format, all three doubles matches are worth one point and all six singles matches are also worth one point. The Mountain Hawks’ top team of junior Jenai Bilimoria and sophomore Abby Farrell fell 8-3 to Kristina Huba and Stephanie Dohner, while the No. 2 team of sophomore Emily Bruch and junior Jill Sloand were edged 9-7 by Charlotte Fahnehjelm and Abbey Keister.
In singles play the Panthers (11-3) won all six matches in straight sets. Farrell played one of the closer matches, losing 7-5, 6-2 to Dohner at No. 2 singles, while Kaminetsky and Sloand won six games apiece at No. 3 and No. 6 singles respectively.
Lehigh (2-8) will look to get back on track when the Mountain Hawks visit Bethune-Cookman Wednesday at 3 p.m.
Florida Tech 8, Lehigh 1
1. Huba/Dohner (FT) def. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) 8-3
2. Fahnehjelm/Keister (FT) def. Bruch/Sloand (LU) 9-7
3. Hampshire/Kaminetsky (LU) def. Zisi/Widmark (FT) 8-4
1. Kristina Huba (FT) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Stephanie Dohner (FT) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Chloe Chanley (FT) def. Ali Kaminetsky (LU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Charlotte Fahnehjelm (FT) def. Emily Bruch (LU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Jessica Widmark (FT) def. Molly Brooks (LU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Flavia Zisi Tigou (FT) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-4, 6-2