BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team improved to 6-1 on the season with a 7-0 shutout of Monmouth Friday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and won all six singles matches, including four straight set victories, as Lehigh extended its winning streak to five.
The Mountain Hawks No. 3 doubles team of senior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Ben Gilman improved to 6-1 on the season with an 8-0 win over Eric Pierce and Joe Talafous. Lehigh then clinched the doubles point as senior Matt Savran and freshman Jeremy Kochman won 8-3 over Jason Prezant and Jason Rothstein at No. 2 doubles. Lehigh’s top team of junior Mark Goldberg and sophomore Mitchell Petersen was also victorious, winning 8-4 over Ramy Bekiet and Freddy Marcinkowski.
In singles play, Lehigh put the match away with straight set wins at the top three flights. Gilman won 6-2, 6-3 ove Marcinkowski at No. 1 singles, Petersen earned a 6-1, 7-5 win over Bekiet at No. 2 singles and Savran won 6-4, 6-1 over Eric Pierce.
At No. 4 singles, Krentz was cruising to a victory, winning the first set 6-1 before Rothstein rallied to win the second in a tiebreak 7-6 (7-2). Krentz was able to refocus and take the third set 6-0 to give the Mountain Hawks four straight singles wins.
Kochman played his first match at No. 5 singles and won in a ten point tiebreak over Prezant, while sophomore DJ Goldblum made his season singles debut with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Talafous at the sixth flight.
The Mountain Hawks will aim for their sixth straight win when they host Villanova Saturday at 3 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7, Monmouth 0
1. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. Marcinkowski/Bekiet (MU) 8-4
2. Savran/Kochman (LU) def. Prezant/Rothstein (MU) 8-3
3. Gilman/Krentz (LU) def. Pierce/Talafous (MU) 8-0
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Freddy Marcinkowski (MU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Ramy Bekiet (MU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Eric Pierce (MU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Jason Rothstein (MU) 6-1, 6-7 (2), 6-0
5. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Jason Prezant (MU) 3-6, 7-6 (1), 10-7
6. DJ Goldblum (LU) def. Joe Talafous (MU) 6-1, 6-0