BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team extended its win streak to four straight and moved to 5-0 at home with a convincing 7-0 shutout of Mount St. Mary’s Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept through three doubles matches and won six singles matches in straight sets to improve to 5-1 on the season.
In doubles play, Lehigh’s No. 2 team of senior Matt Savran and freshman Jeremy Kochman opened things up with an 8-2 win over Mike Salomon and Adam Salam. The Mountain Hawks clinched the doubles point at the third flight as senior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Ben Gilman won 8-4 over Austin Blake and Mike Zabetakis. Lehigh’s top team of junior Mark Goldberg and sophomore Mitchell Petersen won in a tiebreak against Matt Blake and Taylor Place.
Petersen extended Lehigh’s lead in singles play with a straight set win over Salam, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. Krentz followed with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Austin Blake at No. 4 singles, and Gilman clinched the match for the Mountain Hawks with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Matt Blake at the top flight.
Shortly thereafter, Savran downed Salomon in straight sets to put Lehigh up 5-0. The Mountain Hawks captured the final two matches as well as junior Timur Chernykh won 6-1, 6-4 against Zabetakis at No. 5 and Kochman disposed of Place 6-0, 6-4 at the sixth flight.
Lehigh will continue its seven match home stand next weekend when the Mountain Hawks host Monmouth at 4 p.m. Friday before taking on Villanova Saturday at 3 p.m.
Lehigh 7, Mount St. Mary’s 0
1. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. M. Blake/Place (MSM) 8-7 (4)
2. Savran/Kochman (LU) def. Salomon/Salam (MSM) 8-2
3. Krentz/Gilman (LU) def. A. Blake/Zabetakis (MSM) 8-4
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Matt Blake (MSM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Adam Salam (MSM) 6-0, 6-2
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Mike Salomon (MSM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Austin Blake (MSM) 7-6 (4), 6-4
5. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Mike Zabetakis (MSM) 6-1, 6-4
6. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Taylor Place (MSM) 6-0, 6-4