BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team closed out its fall season with a strong showing in the three-day Lehigh Fall Invitational which concluded Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks battled league rivals Colgate, Lafayette and Army and posted a combined record of 20-7 in their final action of the fall season.
The 20-7 mark included a 6-3 record in doubles matches and a 14-4 singles record.
Lehigh opened up by facing Colgate Friday afternoon. The Raiders won two of the three doubles matches, with senior Andrew Krentz and junior Mark Goldberg teaming for a win at No. 2 doubles for the Mountain Hawks.
In singles play, the Mountain Hawks bounced back winning four of the six matches. Sophomores Ben Gilman and Mitchell Peterson posted straight set wins at the top two singles flights, while junior Timur Chernykh won at No. 4 singles and sophomore DJ Goldblum downed John Beam 7-5, 6-0 at No. 5 singles.
Saturday’s action saw Lehigh dominate rival Lafayette, sweeping all three doubles matches and all six singles matches. The Mountain Hawks’ trio of sophomores moved to 2-0 on the weekend with wins against the Leopads, while Krentz and freshmen Jeremy Kochman and Ricardo Prince also posted singles wins.
Lehigh closed out the weekend and the fall season by facing a split squad from Army. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles matches, with Gilman and Petersen downing Rommel Verano and Austin McCasin, and Krentz and Goldberg defeating Rashad Shelton and Roman Cacha 8-3.
Singles play featured eight game pro sets in order to get the Black Knights on the road before the inclement weather hit the area. Gilman and Petersen completed unblemished singles weekends with 8-1 wins at the top two singles flights, while Krentz and Kochman also posted singles victories.
The Mountain Hawks will open up the 2013 spring season in January.
Lehigh vs. Colgate
Doubles (2-1 Colgate)
1. Goldstein/Laub (CU) def. Gilman/Petersen (LU) 8-4
2. Krentz/Goldberg (LU) def. Jewett/Berkowitz (CU) 8-5
3. Pleat/Beam (CU) def. Goldblum/Prince (LU) 8-4
Singles (4-2 Lehigh)
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Alec Goldstein (CU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Alan Pleat (CU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Bobby Berkowitz (CU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) scores unavailable
4. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Mark Pronchick (CU) 6-1, 6-4
5. DJ Goldblum (LU) def. John Beam (CU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Nick Laub (CU) def. Ricardo Prince (LU) unavailable, 6-2
Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Doubles (3-0 Lehigh)
1. Gilman/Petersen (LU) def. Goldstein/Oliver (LC) 8-5
2. Krentz/Goldberg (LU) def. Pinkard/Lazer (LC) 8-4
3. Goldblum/Kochman (LU) def. Studner/Stefanowicz (LC) 8-3
Singles (6-0 Lehigh)
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Brandon Goldstein (LC) 6-0, 6-4
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. James Oliver (LC) 7-5, 6-1
3. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Will Mercorella (LC) 3-6, 6-3, 10-4
4. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Scott Gelbman (LC) 6-3, 6-2
5. DJ Goldblum (LU) def. Chris Matturri (LC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ricardo Prince (LU) def. Gavin Studner (LC) 6-3, 6-4