BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Sophomore Mark Goldberg and junior Matt Savran picked up singles wins to lead Lehigh but the Mountain Hawks dropped a 5-2 decision to visiting Marist Friday on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Red Foxes swept the doubles matches, and after falling behind 2-1 won the final four singles contests. With the loss Lehigh is now 9-7 on the season.
Marist (9-5) opened the match by sweeping three tightly contested doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead.
Goldberg opened singles play with a quick 6-2, 6-1 win over Lorenzo Rossi at No. 1 singles to put the Mountain Hawks on the scoreboard. Savran then gave Lehigh the lead with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Joe Dube at No. 4 singles.
The remaining four matches were tightly contested and featured a pair of three-set matches and three matches that had one set decided via a tiebreak.
At No. 6 singles freshman DJ Goldblum won a second set tiebreak to prolong the match, but Billy Bishop won the third set 6-3 to tie the match at two. Marist went ahead at No. 5 singles as Dalen Klassen won in three sets over junior Andrew Krentz.
The matches at No. 2 and No. 3 singles featured lengthy first sets that were decided in tiebreaks. Freshmen Ben Gilman and Mitchell Petersen were on the short end of those tiebreaks as the Red Foxes won the final two matches in straight sets.
The Mountain Hawks will be back on the courts on Sunday when they host Patriot League rival Army at noon in a rematch of last year’s league championship match.
Marist 5 Lehigh 2
1. Himmelsbach/Giudici (Marist) def. Savran/Gilman (LU) 8-6
2. Rossi/Reznek (Marist) def. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) 8-5
3. Klassen/Bishop (Marist) def. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Lorenzo Rossi (Marist) 6-2, 6-1
2. Matt Himmelsbach (Marist) def. Ben Gilman (LU) 7-6 (5), 6-0
3. Will Reznek (Marist) def. Mitchell Petersen (LU) 7-6 (8), 6-3
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Joe Dube (Marist) 6-4, 6-4
5. Dalen Klassen (Marist) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
6. Billy Bishop (Marist) def. DJ Goldblum (LU) 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 6, 5, 2, 3